The procedure for changing the battery on custom hearing aids is the same for all custom models – whether they are IIC, CIC, ITC, or ITE.
*Note: With Receive in Canal and other BTE styles, the procedure is the same. The only difference may be the location of the hearing aid battery door.
Instructions to insert or replace the battery:
- Use the nail grip on the battery door.
- Open the battery door gently and remove the old battery.
- Remove the tab from the new battery.
- Line up the battery’s “+” sign (flat side of the battery) with the “+” on the battery door. When inserted correctly, the flat side of the battery should be completely visible
- Close the battery door.
How to Change the Battery in a Custom Hearing Aid
How to Change the Battery in a BTE or RIC Hearing Aid
- NEVER FORCE THE BATTERY DOOR SHUT; this could result in serious damage; if the door will not close securely, check that the battery is inserted correctly.
- Do not open the battery door too far or damage is likely to occur.
- Because of their size, it’s a good idea to change and replace batteries above a table or desk to reduce the risk of dropping the instrument or battery.
- Dispose of used batteries immediately in the proper waste or recycling container.
- Because batteries can vary in size and performance, your hearing care professional is your best source for lifespan estimates and verification that you are using the proper size and type.
For more information about hearing aid batteries, please see our hearing aid battery FAQ section.